Saturday, June 07, 2008

Oh snap!


Almost as if in answer to my response in this Serious Eats thread about the Saturday USG, this morning's excursion was especially hot and crowded - and I got very cranky. But the rewards were myriad.

Maybe I am a poser, but my shoulders hurt for reals:

1 lb. sugar snap peas
1 lb. asparagus
1/2 lb. pea shoots
1 lb. shelling peas
1 bunch curly kale
1 bag spinach
1 bunch lamb's quarters
4 shallots
3 onions
1 quart strawberries
Total spent: $52

Last night was the celebratory barbecue for my friends Sam and Nat, who are getting married on Sunday. From the Friday greenmarket, I brought blanched sugar snap peas for finger food, blanched asparagus for the grill, and lots of baby lettuces. We had way too much food, but the sugar snaps (they're so sweet this year!) were gone in an instant, and the grilled asparagus went over well too. The salad was so lovely - the baby heads of lettuce so fresh - that I once again mourned the flavorless salads that most folks end up eating. They can be good, with the right dressing, when you've got bland greens, but when you have a mix of the type of lettuce that is tasty enough to eat alone, it's a totally different experience.

Tonight, I'm excited to sautee the pea shoots with garlic, then serve them with spaghetti so they can be wound around the fork at the same time. I'll have that with buttered peas on the side and some of the Field Roast sausage we have leftover from the barbecue.

The lamb's quarters I bought on a whim; they were described as similar to spinach, but without any oxalic acid. I'll try sauteeing them with garlic. A few minutes after picking them up, I was utterly seduced by the gorgeous spinach from Windfall Farms - it's bright green, with big, flat, un-crinkled leaves - and so crisp and fresh. So now I've got spinach and a spinach stand-in. Luckily, I love greens, so we'll make short work of the lot.

But of course, the most exciting purchase I made today was that quart of strawberries. They're not quite ready, I'm afraid - flavorful, but still a little lacking - but I will take strawberries over no strawberries any day. Lots of vendors had them, so I'll probably head to work early on Wednesday morning to try some more. I don't have any illusions that this box will last past the weekend.

In general news, I'm still getting used to my school schedule, which is not easy to do. Having free time is something I'd grown fond of, you see.

3 comments:

polly conway said...

Isn't it lame when you are actually, truly, deeply busy? Really being busy makes me realize that I am usually lying when I say I am busy.

That said, I'm so proud of you for going to school and learning about pea shoots and oxalic acid!

PS. come visit me and you can eat the strawberry I am growing.

anna said...

Yes! It is similar to being broke, which I also am now due to my student loan payments combined with not working at the record store anymore. Before this, unbeknownst to me, I was actually swimming in extra cash and free time in which to spend it.

Now I don't have either, but somehow have all these weird expensive needs all of a sudden and no money or time in which to fulfill them...things like taking my cat to the vet for a teeth cleaning. And buying important face lotion at Origins.

It is only exacerbated by the fact that all I care about anymore is watching House on DVD. And eating strawberry(s) of course.

polly conway said...

I watch House on Hulu ALL the time. I love it.

It's just like Murder, She Wrote, and all other crime/medical shows where the sick person ALWAYS pulls through, and the medical mystery is always solved.

That said, I was really pissed and cried a lot when someone died on an episode.