Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rained/slept out

No greenmarket today, because it's raining really hard...and I didn't wake up until 10:30 this morning. But I've noticed over the past few weeks that the weekday markets are growing (though they're still not as populous as Saturday's), so stocking up on Monday won't be so bad.

Habaner-oh no: This week I finally used that heap of peppers I bought last Saturday. I roasted the seven little poblanos and the four mild mystery peppers; I added these along with the three teensy habaneros, minced finely (without seeds) to my pot along with onions, spices, and six cans of black beans. And, several hours later, I had a delicious-smelling pot of inedibly spicy beans. Those innocent, cute habaneros! I didn't realize just how hot they'd be. Luckily, I have been able to rescue the batch by using part at a time, cutting it with more black beans; a proportion of 2:1 or higher is necessary, and even then they are still quite spicy. The mix of peppers does give the beans quite a lovely favor, though I think I'll steer clear of the habaneros next time.

No comments: