Friday, June 23, 2006

Union Square Greenmarket, this afternoon

1 pint locally-grown strawberries
2 ripe tomatoes
2 zucchini
1 avocado squash
1 asian squash
1 bag assorted baby lettuces
1 head broccoli
1 bunch carrots
1 bunch shallots
1 basil plant

total spent: $21

The strawberries are so amazing. I don't think I've had delicious strawberries like this in years. I want to go back tomorrow for more, since I know I'll eat them all tonight.

We'll see how things go with the basil plant. I've got it in the front window - the least cat-menaced one - and I'll re-pot the plant next week. As far as the tomatoes, I've made a fresh pasta sauce to capitalize on their ripeness. I was going to add garlic, but it seemed like overkill.

Uncooked pasta sauce for extremely-fresh tomatoes:
1 ripe tomato
5 fresh basil leaves
olive oil
salt
pepper
Chop tomato and mince basil leaves. Toss all ingredients to combine in small bowl. Serve over spaghettini or capellini.

Next time there will be photos!

No comments: